Scuba diving is more than just a sport and Mike’s is more than just a shop: We want you to enjoy diving, whilst also playing our part in protecting the oceans we love. We want you to DIVE FOREVER.
When it comes to kit, we have the largest range in the UK. We suggest what is individually right for you – products that we believe in - so you can concentrate on enjoying the dive.
We aim to minimise ecological impact and champion brands and products that do the same. Our intention is to help preserve the ocean and continue to provide a healthy environment for all divers now and in the future.
Our team of passionate and knowledgeable divers has the motivation to deliver customer service unmatched, from equipment advice, to fast delivery, and after-sales support.
Here at Mikes we're all passionate divers, and we want to do everything we can to protect the ocean. That's why we've taken (and will continue to take) steps to make our business practices more sustainable:
- We're the first dive shop with power in both our shop and warehouse sourced from 100% renewable energy sources. As part of moving to green energy, we have conserved 20 acres of Amazon rainforest.
- We have replaced all the lighting in our London shop with LEDs which has moved the site up 2 bands of energy efficiency.
- We've chosen to use aluminium shop fittings throughout as they have a lower environmental impact and are easy to recycle.
- We recycle our packaging: We don't want to waste a perfectly decent box, so we re-use our suppliers. We're also the first dive shop not to use extra plastic packaging, only paper tape and cardboard bubble wrap.
- We have a dedicated product category related to 'greener' dive products. You'll know when you purchase something that it's a little better for the environment.
- We've donated equipment to the Ullapool snorkel club as we believe introducing kids to the underwater world is the best way to help them understand the importance of conserving it:
- Did you also know that by using the Shop pay app you can carbon offset your deliveries too?
"We were lucky enough to raise some funds towards getting a kid’s wetsuits and kit for training and supporting efforts to snorkel in the northwest Highlands of Scotland with local children around Ullapool. We were looking to maximise what kit we got for our money so approached a number of suppliers. Mike’s Dive Store not only agreed to a deal that saw us get kit at cost but also went further donating additional kit and equipment for free – not even charging for postage. As a result of their help we have gone on to put over 60 kids through BSAC Dolphin Snorkeller training in conjunction with our local pool, but also used the kit to take over 100 children into the sea where we hope the experience of seeing our sea life up close will give them a better understanding of the importance of marine conservation and possibly inspire them to become tomorrow’s divers and marine biologists" Noel Hawkins, Scottish Wildlife trust
Did you also know that Mikes supports Sea Changers, a small charity dedicated to raising money for coastal conservation initiatives? We're the first dive shop to donate 1% of our profits to charity and so far we have raised over £16,000.
We also support Ghost Fishing UK a team of dedicated divers who remove 'ghost nets' (discarded fishing nets that can be a hazard to marine life) by sponsoring expedition boat costs.
The Global Goals
We are proud to be able to support The Global Goals in the following areas by using environmentally friendly packaging and promoting marine friendly products to our customers. We also support Sea-Changers to help protect and support our coast and marine areas.
REDUCE MARINE POLLUTION
By 2025, prevent and significantly reduce marine pollution of all kinds, in particular from land-based activities, including marine debris and nutrient pollution.
CONSERVE COASTAL AND MARINE AREAS
By 2020, conserve at least 10 per cent of coastal and marine areas, consistent with national and international law and based on the best available scientific information.