Here at Mikes we're all passionate divers, and we want to do everything we can to protect the ocean. That's why we've taken (and will continue to take) steps to make our business practices more sustainable:
- We're the first dive shop with power in both our shop and warehouse sourced from 100% renewable energy sources. As part of moving to green energy, we have conserved 20 acres of Amazon rainforest.
- We have replaced all the lighting in our London shop with LEDs which has moved the site up 2 bands of energy efficiency.
- We recycle our packaging: We don't want to waste a perfectly decent box, so we re-use our suppliers. We're also the first dive shop not to use extra plastic packaging, only paper tape and cardboard bubble wrap.
- We have a dedicated product category related to 'greener' dive products. You'll know when you purchase something that it's a little better for the environment.
- We've donated equipment to the Ullapool snorkel club as we believe introducing kids to the underwater world is the best way to help them understand the importance of conserving it:
- Did you also know that by using the Shop pay app you can carbon offset your deliveries too?
Did you also know that Mikes supports Sea Changers, a small charity dedicated to raising money for coastal conservation initiatives? We're the first dive shop to donate 1% of our profits to charity and so far we have raised over £16,000.
The Global Goals
We are proud to be able to support The Global Goals in the following areas by using environmentally friendly packaging and promoting marine friendly products to our customers. We also support Sea-Changers to help protect and support our coast and marine areas.
REDUCE MARINE POLLUTION
By 2025, prevent and significantly reduce marine pollution of all kinds, in particular from land-based activities, including marine debris and nutrient pollution.
CONSERVE COASTAL AND MARINE AREAS
By 2020, conserve at least 10 per cent of coastal and marine areas, consistent with national and international law and based on the best available scientific information.