BIG THANK YOU!!
As you may remember, in April this year Mikes’ Dive Store signed up to contribute to UK marine conservation activities by supporting the charity, Sea-Changers. Mike’s Dive Store agreed to donate 1% of the value of all of its online sales to the charity and customers are of course invited to contribute too. Over £1,000 has already been raised through the partnership. So we thought we would just give you a little update as to what the money actually went on! And no it wasn't a nice exotic diving holiday for Steve!
By buying products online at Mike’s Dive Store you are therefore supporting a variety of UK marine conservation charities and projects. Sea-Changers’ latest round of grants was given out in June this year and another round of applications is currently underway.
To give you some idea of where the money goes, we can tell you all about the grants allocated by Sea-Changers in June 2015. Sea-Changers raises money for a range of primarily UK based, marine conservation charities and organisations. The projects funded all fall within one of the following areas:
- Marine Reserves/Protected Marine Areas
- Direct Marine Clean-Up Action
- Education, Campaigning and Awareness
- Species Protection and Research
The latest grants ranged from £500 to £650 to six projects right around the UK. The chosen projects were of a practical nature such as: training of citizen inspectors to assist with enforcement of fishing regulations; education projects in schools and communities around the UK; marine habitat surveys and research to understand more about the health of important species. Each of the chosen projects to receive funds this June is explained below:
- Black Fish - Citizens Inspectors
- Weymouth and Dorset Sub Aqua Club (WDSAC) - Worbarrow Bay marine habitat survey
- Fin Fighters - The Fin Fighters Campaign
- Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) - Regional Training Event
- Blue Ocean Planet (BOP) ‘Our Oceans, Our Life’ Education Programme
- Sea Watch Foundation - training courses and cetacean surveys
Sea-Changers and Mike’s would like to say a real big thank you for your continued support!