It is a common myth that you only need a torch for night dives, wreck penetration or low visibility. As you descend below the water's surface, your surroundings become darker. A diving torch adds colour back as sunlight is reduced with depth. It can also be used as a tool of communication. We are excited about the new Apeks Luna torch range because they are British designed and made, and we associate the Apeks brand with quality equipment and its ability to withstand UK diving conditions.
See below for the specs of the new Luna torch and why we love it:
Apeks Luna Dive Torch
- The Luna is crafted from marine grade anodised aluminium which is corrosion resistant and is often used in torches designed for sailing.
- The 2000 lumen max output is more than suitable for a primary torch. 3 power settings mean that on low it will burn for a solid 8 hours, on medium for 4 hours and on high for 2 hours.
- It is fitted with 3 x White XPL2 LEDs. These are energy efficient, high density lights good for long durations, often used in bicycle lights as well as in diving torches.
- It has a 20-degree beam angle – perfect for limited visibility and murky water.
- It is charged via a USB cable which means there is no need to open the case, reducing any risk of leaks. The Luna takes 4 hours to be fully charged.
- A digital fuel gauge (Run Time Indicator) will let you know how long your remaining burn time is, which is reassuring on long-duration dives.
- The Luna has an in-built ITM (Internal Thermal Management) system. This patented circuitry is similar to the process used in hybrid and electric cars. By reducing power to the LEDs if they overheat, this keeps the light as efficient as possible to maximise output and battery capacity.
- A comfortable Goodman-style neoprene glove handle is supplied in the box as standard, allowing hands-free operation.
- It is depth rated to 100 metres, is a compact 113 mm long and weighs just 258 grams.
- Colour – grey.
Apeks Luna Mini Dive Torch
As if the Luna wasn’t enough as a new product by itself, Apeks have also introduced the Luna Minis. Some of these have been rather cleverly designed in a similar colour range as the aircraft grade anodised aluminium Apeks Lifeline spools. They share some features to the Luna torch but in a smaller, more lightweight package:
- Also crafted from marine grade anodised aluminium.
- Has 1000 lumen max output which is ideal for either a primary or a backup torch.
- 3 power settings. On low, it will burn for a solid 6 hours, on medium for 3 hours and on high for 1.5 hours.
- Fitted with 1 x White XPL2 LED.
- Has a 16-degree beam angle.
- USB charging cable. It takes 4 hours to be fully charged.
- Also has a Thermal Management System to maximise output and battery capacity.
- It is depth rated to 100 metres, is a compact 107 mm long and weighs just 113 grams.
- Colours - orange, green, purple and grey.
Apeks Luna Adv Dive Torch
Finally, for those divers who have a more generous budget and the technical fraternity there is the Luna Adv. This is a more feature rich version of the Luna torch which Apeks recommend for the “explorer and adventurer”:
- Machined from marine grade anodised aluminium.
- The 3600 lumen max output makes for a powerful primary torch. Featuring an industry-first digital Optimised Mode Selector, a choice of 6 pre-set programmes can be selected before diving. This gives the option of a variety of run times and power settings for each stage of your dive. It will burn for between 2-36 hours depending on mode.
- It is fitted with 6 x White XPL2 LEDs.
- It has a 20-degree beam angle.
- It is charged via a USB cable. It takes 6 hours to be fully charged.
- It has a digital fuel gauge (Run Time Indicator) letting you know your remaining burn time.
- The Luna ADV also has an in-built ITM (Internal Thermal Management) system to maximise output and battery capacity.
- A Goodman-style handle is supplied in the box as standard, on which you can mount either 2 torches or a torch and small action camera.
- It is depth rated to 100 metres, is 118 mm long and weighs 356 grams.
- Colour – grey.
All torches in the Luna range have an SOS emergency strobe and come in a stylish reusable zippered case. They are packaged plastic free.