Scubapro was one of the first mainstream companies to replace petroleum-based neoprene with more environmentally friendly limestone-based neoprene over 20 years ago. Today one of the biggest manufacturers of high-quality diving equipment makes another giant leap by introducing even more eco-friendly diveware made from Yulex Dive material.
What is Yulex?
Yulex is a material made from natural rubber harvested from rubber trees. Trees are a resource, and unfortunately, deforestation is a global reality. While it is estimated that 50-80% of oxygen comes from Oceans (NOAA), land-based flora is the second biggest oxygen producer on Earth, supplying one-third of the oxygen in the biosphere. Scientists propose that one large three provides enough oxygen to sustain up to four adults daily. It is bewildering that the human race is cutting down one of the primary sources of life-sustaining oxygen at an eye-watering rate. Shifting to a more sustainable way of manufacturing leisure goods is a matter of necessity, not an optional choice.
We must look at better resource management and use our resources sustainably. Organisations such as Forest Stewardship Council has over 25 years of experience in sustainable forest management - they promote and help to manage the world's forests in a more environmentally friendly and sustainable way. In practical terms, the ultimate game is to plant more trees than we cut down and support local communities and the government to achieve that mission. Yulex produces the only commercially available Forest Stewardship Council® certified pure natural rubber materials to enable the production of high-performing and environmentally sustainable products, just like the Scubapro Everflex Yulex range of wetsuits.
How is the new Scubapro Everflex more Eco friendly?
Yulex is the name of the company and the product. Yulex produces solid, pure, natural rubber from an FSC-certified forest, allowing the production of environmentally and socially responsible products without harmful allergens. The Yulex material is excellent for scuba diving applications as it has excellent resistance to compression and, of course, is better for our oceans. A few forward-looking diveware manufacturers use the Yulex rubber to execute cutting-edge designs, and Scubapro is just setting another milestone in its history by shifting its production to even more sustainable products.
The new Scubapro Everflex Yulex range of products is environmentally friendly in many ways:
- Made from Eco-friendly Eveflex Yulex plant-based foam
- The Yulex Dive foam variety chosen by SCUBAPRO provides years of use at all depths
- All Everflex wetsuits are assembled using a solvent-free glue
- A polyester lining made from recycled plastic bottles is an additional step toward environmental sustainability.
- It is claimed that each Eveflex Yulex wetsuit uses around 45 recycled plastic bottles
- All Eveflex Yulex products are delivered in multi-paper bags made from 100% recyclable post-consumer waste
How is the new Scubapro Everflex Yulex a great performer?
The new Scubapro range gives more eco-friendly vibes and produces a good quality product that should last for a few good dives. The times when eco-friendly meant, maybe, a short lifespan are over. According to Scubapro, the new Yulex wetsuits are great performers at any given depth and are more resistant to compression.
- Made from pure natural rubber from FSC Certified Farms, the Yulex Dive foam offers excellent resistance to compression.
- Scubapro Wetsuits made from Yulex do not compromise on quality and offer outstanding comfort, durability and warmth.
- Scubapro Everflex Yulex products are built with high stretch material and several high stretch panels that provide a tighter fit initially but stretch after a few dives.