The Apeks MTX-R Regulator is based on the MTX, a regulator that was developed in accordance with the United States Navy Experimental Dive Unit extreme cold water test so you know it is going to be good. Apeks have stuck to their balanced diaphragm principles that they are so well known and respected for to deliver a regulator that is capable of performing in almost freezing water at a depth of over 60 metres.
The MTX-R first stage uses a forged body for optimal thermal performance and features heat exchanging fins on almost every part to increase the surface area as much as possible to further improve the cold water performance and help prevent ice formation. The internal components are of course environmentally sealed to prevent water coming into contact with critical parts and also minimising the risk of contamination.
There are four low pressure ports on a parallel port turret with a fifth high flow port under a protective cap. A high pressure port can be found on either side of the main body and are pre-angled for optimal hose routing.
The MTX-R second stage continues the ultra cold water performance with a large heat exchanger around the hose inlet to dissipate the extreme cold temperatures generated in the pneumatically balanced metal valve as the compressed air depressurises into the housing. Unusually, the second stage has no diver adjustable options and instead has been modified and adjusted to minimise the risk of a second stage free flow.
The second stage is tough and robustly made with a wide exhaust deflector and fitted with the typical Apeks regulator mouthpiece for excellent comfort and hygienic properties. With an innovative first stage design that helps to prevent ice build up around the diaphragm, the MTX-R is reliable, rugged and expedition ready.
The regulators are designed to be used with the matching Apeks MTX-R Octopus.
- A first of its kind, over-moulded first-stage end cap and environmental diaphragm to prevent ice build-up that could cause a free flow in extreme circumstances.
- Forged 1st stage body gives maximum thermal performance.
- Ribbed diaphragm clamp on the 1st stage ensures improved heat exchange in cold water conditions.
- Angled HP ports allow for optimal hose routing and transmitter fitting.
- Parallel turret ports allow for improved hose orientation.
- Superb protection from impact damage on both the 1st and 2nd stage.
- Simple to use 2nd stage with no dive adjustment controls and a reduced chance of free flow.
- Double swivel hose for greater freedom of movement and comfort.
- Patented heat exchanger surrounds the valve mechanism, dissipating the cold caused by gas expansion while drawing in the warmth of the ambient water.
- Developed in accordance with the United States Navy Experimental Dive Unit extreme cold water test.
- Tested for Octopus use to 60 metres in cold water.
|Type of first stage ||Over-balanced diaphragm design, environmentally sealed|
|Body Type ||One piece forged body|
|Number of HP ports ||2 (7/16" UNF)|
|Number of MP ports ||5 (3/8" UNF)|
|Environmental Dry Kit ||Standard|
|First stage exterior ||Satin chrome|
|Orientation ||Convertible LH or RH|
|Coldwater Use ||Yes - extreme|
|Type of second stage ||Pneumatically balanced|
|Opening Effort Control Knob ||No|
|Integrated Venturi Lever ||No|
|Exhaust tee ||Diver Changeable - one set supplied|
|Heat Exchanger for freezing resistance ||Yes|
|Hose type ||Braided Flexi-hose|
|Overall work of breathing (WOB) scores ||Avg. 1.75 joules/litre|
|Nitrox compatible ||Yes to 40% O2 when new, out of the box / Can be O2 cleaned to 100%.|