Suunto has identified a potential safety risk affecting all Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitters and Suunto Tank PODs which wirelessly transmit tank pressure to compatible Suunto dive computers. In two reported incidents, the exterior case of a Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter has failed during regular dry land pressure testing. Although extremely rare, this represents a potential risk of injury, due to the risk of bursting.
Diver safety is of highest importance to Suunto. That is why Suunto has decided to initiate a recall of all Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitters and Suunto Tank PODs.
Please take your Transmitter or Tank Pod to your nearest authorised Suunto dive dealer or Suunto Authorised Service Centre for inspection and upgrade. Use Suunto's Dealer Locator to find your nearest centre. The process is free of charge.
All Transmitters and Tank PODs must not be used before the upgrade has been made.
The Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter has been sold since 2003 and the Suunto Tank POD since 2013. Both of the known incidents happened to the Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter. However, since the mechanical construction of these two products is very similar, Suunto is also recalling the Tank PODs as a precaution. No serious injuries have occurred in connection with the incidents known to Suunto. However, it is mandatory that all affected products are recalled for inspection and upgrade.
What to do if you own a Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter or a Suunto Tank POD
- Do not use the affected product(s).
- Take the product(s) to your nearest authorised Suunto dive dealer or Suunto Authorised Service Centre for inspection and upgrade. Use the Suunto Dealer Locator to find your nearest centre. If you are no where near a dealer then please send it to Mike's Dive Store, 113 Power Road, Chiswick, W45PY and include:
- Full name
- Phone number
- Serial number of your transmitter/pod
- Return address for return of the transmitter/pod
- When you receive your upgraded product(s), you should register the product(s) at MySuunto to ensure you receive a full one-year warranty extension from the date of inspection.
- Please help us spread the message about this recall and share this information with your dive buddies that are using a Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter or a Suunto Tank POD.
What will happen to my Transmitter / Tank Pod?
All Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitters and Suunto Tank PODs that are returned will be upgraded:
- They will be opened and inspected
- A new battery, O-ring and cover with an additional laser marked O will be fitted to the unit
- A set of two flow restrictors will be provided, one for use when connected to a hose and another if fitted directly to a first stage HP port. A set of fitting instructions will also be provided.
- The upgraded Suunto Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter or Suunto Tank POD will then be pressure tested to check for water tightness and tested for functionality.